Back to Blog
Big Game, Big Eats
As you plan a celebration for the big game day, food will play a big role. Here are some interesting football-themed foods you can serve guests to help everyone get in the spirit even if their team isn’t winning.
Spicy Cheddar Cheese Football
Here’s an easy dip recipe that is fun to make and adds a festive touch to any table. It provides enough for 10 servings, so you can make more than one if you plan to have a large crowd.
• Three 8-ounce packages cream cheese, softened
• 3 cups shredded aged Cheddar
• 1 cup grated romano
• 3/4 cup sour cream
• 1 teaspoon hot sauce
• 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
• Salt and freshly ground black pepper
• 3 cups toasted pecans, finely chopped in a food processor
• 1 cup dried cranberries, chopped in a food processor
• Sriracha sauce
• Chips, veggies or hunks of crusty French bread, for serving
Combine the cream cheese, Cheddar, romano, sour cream, Sriracha and Worcestershire in a bowl. Using a handheld mixer, whip until combined. Adjust the seasoning with salt and pepper if necessary.
Plop the cheese mixture onto a parchment-lined baking sheet and cover in plastic wrap. Using your hands, mold the cheese into a football shape. Remove the plastic, cover evenly with the nuts and cranberries and, using Sriracha, draw football laces on top. Set in the fridge for at least 30 minutes to firm up.
Serve with chips, veggies or hunks of crusty French bread.
Baked Brown Sugar Chicken Wings
Put a new spin on a traditional game day food with these brown sugar chicken wings.
• 2 pounds chicken wings
• 2 tablespoons olive oil
• 2 teaspoons brown sugar
• 2 teaspoon garlic powder
• 2 teaspoon chili powder
• 2 teaspoon smoked paprika
• 1 teaspoon onion powder
• Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
For the Cream Sauce:
• 1/3 cup roasted red pepper, chopped
• 2 ounces goat cheese
• 2 tablespoons sour cream
• 1/4 teaspoon salt
1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with foil.
2. To make the dipping sauce, combine roasted red pepper, goat cheese, sour cream and salt in the bowl of a food processor until emulsified; set aside.
3. In a large bowl, combine wings, olive oil, brown sugar, garlic powder, chili powder, paprika, onion powder, salt and pepper, to taste.
4. Place wings onto the prepared baking sheet and bake for 25 minutes, using metal tongs to turn at halftime.
5. Serve wings immediately with dipping sauce.
Individual Seven Layer Dip Cups
This recipe is ideal for game day because everyone can enjoy the delicious taste of the seven layer dip without having to get back up for more. Plus, there are no worries about double-dipping.
• 1 (16 ounce) can refried beans
• 1 (1 ounce) package taco seasoning
• 1 cup guacamole or make homemade guacamole
• 1 (8 ounce) container sour cream
• 1 cup chunky salsa or pico de gallo; or make homemade pico de gallo
• 1 cup shredded cheddar or Mexican blend cheese
• 2 Roma tomatoes, diced
• ½ bunch of green onions, sliced
• 1 (2.25 ounce) can of sliced olives, drained
• 8 (9 ounce) plastic tumblers
• tortilla chips
1. In a small bowl mix taco seasoning with refried beans. Some people prefer to mix their taco seasoning with the sour cream layer but I wanted a bright white layer so I did it with the beans.
2. Here's how the layers are assembled:
Layer 1: beans and taco seasoning; Layer 2: sour cream; Layer 3: guacamole; Layer 4: salsa or pico de gallo; Layer 5: cheese; Layer 6: tomatoes; Layer 7: green onions and olives
3. In each plastic glass, layer about 2 Tablespoons of the beans, followed by 2 Tablespoons of sour cream, 2 Tablespoons of guacamole, 2 Tablespoons of salsa or pico de gallo, and 2 Tablespoons of cheese. Make sure you drain your salsa or pico to get the excess liquid out before you pour it on. Then top with about 1-2 teaspoons of tomatoes, olives, and green onion (If making ahead of time, wait to add these toppings until shortly before serving).
4. Garnish with one tortilla chip. Store in the refrigerator until serving and serve with chips. Makes around 8 individual dips.
If cooking and hosting your own party sounds like too much work, you can enjoy the big game day with your friends at the Isle of Capri Casino Hotel® Lula. See the teams play on the big screens as you sample delicious bites from Otis & Henry’s®. No matter which team takes the prize, you’re a winner for a fun evening at the Isle of Capri Casino Hotel Lula.