Back to Blog
August is Just Peachy!
Summertime and juicy peaches just seem to go hand in hand. Sweet, light and perfect for picnics, this delectable treat deserves some extra attention. We here at Isle of Capri Casino® Hotel Lula are celebrating National Peach Pie Day on August 24 by giving you some fun facts, a delicious recipe and our own ode to peaches with our specials that day.
Peach Fun Facts
- Besides being low in calories, full of fiber and chock full of Vitamins A, B and C, peaches may ward off metabolic disorders, diabetes and certain types of cancer.
- The flesh, smell and taste of peaches has been so inspirational to people that they were mentioned in literature as long ago as 79 A.D.
- People would give this fruit to friends, which is why we have the famous phrase “You’re a real peach!”
- If you were to travel to China, you’d find flat peaches awaiting you. With over 700 varieties, there’s definitely a big range from one end of the spectrum to the next.
- California boasts the most peaches grown in America.
- Buy a freestone peach if you’re going to be eating it, you’ll have a much easier time separating the flesh from the pit with this variety.
Make Your Own Peach Pie
It’s pretty simple, so have no fear. Whip one up and serve it for dessert after a home cooked dinner.
½ cup flour
1 cup sugar
½ teaspoon cinnamon
5 cups peeled and sliced peaches
9 inch double crust
½ teaspoon butter
Preheat oven to 425 F, and then mix the flour, sugar and cinnamon together. Gently toss the ingredients with the peaches until coated, place into crust and dot filling with butter. Cover with top pie crust, adding slits at the top. Sprinkle with sugar.
Bake for 20-30 minutes with foil covering edges to prevent burning, and 15 minutes with foil removed. Serve or freeze. Enjoy!
Celebrate With Isle of Capri®
Whet your appetite by sampling some peachy treats at Otis and Henry’s®! We’ll feature Mom’s raw peach pie, served on either brown sugar biscuits or cinnamon sugar pie crust, for just $5.99.
What’s your favorite way to enjoy peaches? With so many ways to celebrate the fun events of the month or season, you’ll always find little surprises to make each visit a little different. Have your own perfect peach recipe you’d like to share? Post them on our Facebook or Twitter page. We’d love to hear from you!